Telstar

Telstar

Tuesday 14 October 2014

busted handles and dropped windows

A few weeks back my wife was getting into the passengers side of the car. As she opened the door handle I heard a crack and the handle flew up, without the door opening. Great, busted handle,  I'll fix that later.

I had some time today to have a look at the damage and work out what to do with it. After I pulled the door card off, I was pleasantly suprised to see the inner door plastic in great condition. After peeling the plastic back gently, and the locking mechanism removed the handle came out nicely. As the handles age, the levers for the latch deteriorate and the end snaps off.


On my old Telstar Sedan, I did a door lock delete. To do this I used a handle cup from a rear door and the handle from the front door. The rod to the locking mechanism is removed and the handle fitted into the rear door cup.


The handle chrome on the replacement isn't in the best condition but it'll do until I find a replacement handle. 


The difference can be seen here with the handle cups and latch arms.

With the door card off I noticed some double sided tape behind the mirror cover. The locating tabs and clips were all broken and the cover panel stuck back on. I found a spare one I had laying around. It isn't perfect but it's in beter condition than the one I removed.


Once the door was back together I could start work on repairing the dropped glass in the driverside rear door. The plastic guide that holds the glass had broken resulting in the glass becoming less inclined to do as it was asked.

Once the door card came off, the plastic liner was in excellent condition.



The window mechanism came out with a little wiggling. The spare I had was a little different in the length of the cord tube, but everything else is identical.


 The tube was trimmed and fitted into the door. Door trims back on and everything tested ok.

Much success!







No comments:

Post a Comment